Tuesday, February 19, 2008

WH Smith in 'great experience' shock



The other day I was at Paddington station and needed to buy a card. (yep for valentines!)

So I picked up a card in Smiths and went to the queue. It was ten people long and I had 5 minutes to get to my train. Decision time - do I stay or do i go?

Just as I was about to leave I heard one of the four cashiers yelling:

'come on, come on. keep it up. these people have trains to catch. keep it moving, keep it moving'.

And all of the other cashiers were smiling, and I was rapidly moving towards the front of the queue. They were even tossing bags of change to each other to deal with the inconsiderate commuters who had obviously just got a twenty out at the station.

Amazing.

I was reminded of the the old training video from video arts 'Fish' which was designed to show people that even the most mundance jobs could be good if you injected a bit of fun, energy and team spirit.

No comments: