Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The curse of the planner's advert

As a planner, I spend far too much time deconstructing other companies' communications.

It does annoy friends and family who aren't really that interested in 'advertising', but it keeps me amused.

Who's this for? What's the insight?
What's the proposition? What's the creative idea?
Do I think it will work?

I guess I'm trying to see 'behind the execution' to get a glimpse of another planner's work.

It should be possible to understand and guess at all of this in a well crafted piece of communication.

Some will probably argue against me, but the planning work shouldn't be glaringly obvious in the final communication. (Unless it's a very simple rational offer / message where less creative ideation is needed). The creative development phase should take the planning insight and proposition and transform it into something that connects with people on a number of emotional levels.

And certainly you shouldn't see the planner's work poking out in a car ad.... that pinnacle of artistic endeavour. The most rewarding representation of the TV creatives' art. Subtly playing on the emotions and the senses. Bringing in the compelling rational thinking to help you justify your extortionate spending. Creating ultimate desirability for a hunk of metal on wheels.

So OMG to Kia with this ad for the Cee'd. So bad I had to write about it.

I can see the brief now....

Our target audience are really indifferent about our cars and they just have no desire to buy them. We really need to change their minds with a TV ad.

Watch it. It's appalling.



I know that a good planner's proposition should be good enough to run as a billboard, but this????

Shame. Because in searching for that Kia ad on You Tube, I came across this one for the Sportage 4x4, which is great. If you've got nothing interesting to say about your product, at least make an ad that makes me laugh.

No comments: